Mini-Painting Spotlight 10/6/2020

Hope you enjoyed yesterday’s post!

Today’s post is going to highlight a few different minis that I’ve done recently.

Male Aasimar Paladin. Turned out better than I expected.

Why is this one deathly-pallor gray? Well, once I get a pot of paint that shows that he is bloody around the mouth, he’s going to be a vampire. One look at his clothes, and I thought “Kind of old, even for the time period for most D&D games…” Then I thought about who would be wearing such anachronistic clothes. Vampire. Just waiting on a pot of paint.

The next submission for your approval is a restoration project that is near and dear to my heart.

You see, my mom and dad used to play back in the old first edition AD&D days. My mom and dad having both been players, although my dad would DM alternating within their group, had his two characters and my mother hers. The players would each have two characters as they only had a total of three players across the DM. As such, to round out the party, more characters were needed than players were had.

When I inherited my dad’s things after he and my mom stopped playing, I inherited all of his miniatures as well. Among everything, I found my mom and dad’s old computer miniatures, battered and used. I also, looked with heartbreak on their condition. I found myself with a quandary: restore the miniatures to their former glory, or leave them in their original state.

So I called my folks and asked them their thoughts. Although my dad was unavailable for comment, my mom’s answer was: “We gave them to you so they are yours to do with what you want. I don’t mind if you want to restore them.”

Therefore, my mind was set: I’m going to restore them to their former glory. Considering the extensive color palette of paint that I have, as well as my ability to mix paints fairly accurately, I figured I would have the ability to restore the minis to their original condition. So far, I’ve only had time to restore one of them. The original character’s name was Sabrina, a human fighter. Here are her before and after photos.

Dusty, chipped, faded. Well-used!
Good as new!

As you can see, the original paints used were Testors brand enamel paints. I restored using acrylic paints without using the Delco lacquer that I recently took up using. Also note that I did not use any kind of shading on them. The goal was not to redo the miniature so much as to restore the miniature. As such, they will likely never get used again, holding a special place of honor amongst my other miniatures. Here are the before photos of the other two I intend on restoring.

Amber the Cleric of St. Cuthbert
Erlic the Thief

As you can see, I have my work cut out for me! Although I did not show you pictures of the back sides, they are much worse. More chips and scratches.

Later this week, I’ll do my Miniature Painting How-To on restoring old miniatures to show you step by step how I do it!

Until tomorrow, dear readers!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s